Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Saint Michael's College - My School Community


Saint Michael's College - My School Community


    During today's lesson, we talked a lot about the importance of fostering a good school community. It allowed me to reflect on the community I am a part of here and I realized how lucky I am to be part of such an amazing school. When I think about communities in the classroom, they are phenomenal. They make me excited about being an educator in the future. My Adolescent Development class with Professor Doyle is a class that I look forward to attending every day. That class feels like a family and our professor does an outstanding job of fostering a comfortable environment. In the past, I always hesitated to share my thoughts with the big group in class because I am shy. However, because Professor Doyle fosters such a comfortable community within the classroom, I do not feel scared to express my opinions because I know will be accepted by my peers. As a future educator, I want to foster this same kind of environment in my classroom. It is essential that as educators we get to know our students very well, like Professor Doyle has, to make them feel valued. Professor Doyle consistently acknowledges our accomplishments, inside and outside of the classroom. Each of us feels like an essential piece to a puzzle.
    Outside of the classroom, I am involved in the co ed a cappella group, "Sleepless Knights". Participating in extra-curricular activities is key for students because it allows them to have an outlet outside of academics to thrive in. Music has always been a huge part of my life and I value being in the group just as much as I value academics. As a future educator, I want to encourage my students to participate in as many extra-curricular activities as possible because it gives them goals that are not academic-related. Also, when students participate in extra-curricular activities, they learn how to work well with others and how to collaborate. These are essential skills that translate over into the classroom and in life beyond school. I am so blessed to be a part of the amazing community at Saint Michael's College.

"Sleepless Knights" a cappella group

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely entry. Have you thought about inserting an audio file or link to one of your YouTube videos? It would be a nice connection.

    ReplyDelete