Resource Evaluation
In my literacy class, we were required to do a resource evaluation. Our goal was to gather information about a text so that we could thoroughly decide how to support students in reading the text. Using the information from the resource evaluation, I will eventually design a lesson plan for my unit. I tagged this to P.C. 8.1: Candidates use a variety of instructional strategies to encourage learners to build skills to apply knowledge in meaningful ways. One pre-reading strategy that I included in my literacy planning for this lesson was having students make a schedule of their daily routines with the help of a vocabulary list I provide them with. The vocabulary list includes words from the text I give them afterwards. Since vocabulary inhibits a lot of students from comprehending a text in Spanish, it it is important for me to incorporate this pre-reading strategy to make the process of understanding a text much easier for my students when I hand it out to them.
Another aspect of reading that is most important for me to evaluate in my discipline is the organization and structure of the text. When students see ten pages of Spanish, they may feel overwhelmed at first. However, if I provide them with an organizer while they are reading, they can break down the text more to comprehend it at the best of their abilities. If the information in a text is not organized in an accessible way or if it is too long for students, I will not give it to them because they will not learn anything from it. As a result, they cannot build their Spanish skills to apply their knowledge in meaningful ways. Finally, I use the post-reading strategy of a Venn Diagram for my students so they can apply what they learned from the text and compare it to their own lives. In general, having a variety of different instructional strategies caters to every individual's needs and allows me to effectively teach.
No comments:
Post a Comment