Connections between Literacy and Curriculum
Shadow Puppet: Literacy and Spanish
Explain Everything: My Curriculum Orientation: Humanism
In Christy Pelloni's and my shadow puppet presentation, we discussed our definition of literacy and how it relates to teaching the Spanish language to students. In my Explain Everything presentation, I discussed my curriculum orientation, humanism, and how I will apply what I have learned about my orientation in my future classrooms.
There was a lot of overlap in both Literacy and Curriculum. One overlap was that technology can enhance education immensely. In my shadow puppet presentation, I discussed how I can use apps like Duolingo, electronic flashcards, and websites like Spanish Dictionary to help my students enhance their literacy skills. In my Explain Everything presentation, I talked about how a student can choose which form of technology best suits his or her learning style and enhances his or her learning as a result. Furthermore, there was an overlap in both Literacy and Curriculum with the importance of student choice and personalized learning opportunities. In my shadow puppet presentation, Christy and I stressed how students can choose which forms of literacy they wish to analyze, whether it be spanish art, architecture, etc. In my Explain Everything presentation, Abraham Maslow emphasized the necessity for student choice in his or her learning because each student has a unique learning style. If a student is passionate about what they are learning, they are more likely to thrive in his or her education.
I tagged this blog to PC 4.1 because in both presentations for Literacy and Curriculum, I discussed the central concepts of my discipline. In my shadow puppet presentation, I explained how Spanish works and which forms of literacy we study. In my Explain Everything presentation, I discussed how I would teach topics in Spanish as a humanistic educator. Furthermore, I tagged this blog to PC 5.2 because I integrated cross-disciplinary skills that I will use in order to help my future students demonstrate their work in Spanish in unique ways. In my shadow puppet presentation, I explained how my students often need to problem-solve when conversing in Spanish and stressed that being collaborative improves fluency in Spanish immensely. Finally, in my Explain Everything presentation, I demonstrated the various creative ways in which students can demonstrate their work whether it be through technology, experiential learning, or their personalized learning plans. Overall, this post can connect to the important mission statement pillar that graduates must be committed to social justice and sustainability. Through experiential learning and personalized learning plans in my future classrooms, I will provide my students with individual learning opportunities that are catered to each student's personal learning style.
Looking at the performance criterions and the mission statement pillar, I feel comfortable communicating the central concepts of Spanish to my future students. I know how to look at Spanish through various lenses because of what I have learned already in Literacy. Literacy in Spanish is not only about reading and writing Spanish, but also about the knowledge we gain by reading various aspects of the Spanish culture. Moreover, I am confident in integrating cross-disciplinary skills that will allow my students to demonstrate their work in a unique way. I know a lot about different problem-solving skills in Spanish, like using familiar words or using apps like DuoLingo which I described in my shadow puppet presentation. However, I feel like it would be helpful to learn how to use even more apps that can be beneficial to teaching my students in the future.
Bailey - I really appreciated the connections you made between the presentations and the overlap you described between curriculum and literacy.
ReplyDelete