Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Developmental Matrix

Developmental Matrix



Age
Theorist
Categories
11-15/20
Piaget





Manning





Brighton and Stevenson
Cognitive/Language - (Formal Operations) – Capable of thinking logically and abstractly, capable of formulating hypotheses and testing them systematically; thinking is more complex, and can think about thinking (metacognition)

Start to understand the nuances of metaphors, derive meaning from traditional wisdom, and experience metacognition

Increasingly able to think through ideological topics, argue a position, and challenge adult directives
Young Adolescents














10-11




12-15
Kellough & Kellough








Scales





Erikkson


Affective/Emotional – Have a tendency to be moody, restless, and may exhibit erratic and inconsistent behavior including anxiety, bravado, and fluctuations between superiority and inferiority

Highly self-conscious and highly sensitive to criticism of their perceived personal shortcomings


Industry vs. Inferiority when they identity themselves by the tasks and skills they perform well

Identity vs. Identity when they explore and experiment with various roles and experiences

Young Adolescents
Scales









Wiles et al.



Brighton
Social – Have a strong need to belong to a group – with peer approval becoming more important and adult approval decreasing in importance

May experiment with new behaviors as they seek social position and personal identity

May experience conflicting loyalties to peer group and family

Torn between their desire to conform to the peer group norms and their aspiration to be distinctive and independent

Young Adolescents
Brighton





Scales







Kellough & Kellough and Scales


Kohlberg and Roney
Moral/Spiritual – Many of the attitudes, beliefs, and values that young adolescents develop remain with them for life

Move away from blanket acceptance of adult moral judgment to the development of their own personal values; however, they usually embrace the values of parents or key adults

Tend to be idealistic and possess a strong sense of fairness

As they progress into the interpersonal conformity stage, young adolescents begin to reconcile their understanding of people who care about them with their egocentricity



I can relate to Jean Piaget’s formal operational stage because when I was around the age of 11, I began to think more abstractly. I remember my teachers always encouraging my love of problem solving around this time. I would often use deductive reasoning by drawing conclusions from abstract concepts using logic. I also remember my mom getting frustrated with me because at this age, I would constantly ask, “What ifs” to think more abstractly. She never had any concrete answers for me because my questions were always pretty out there like, “What if the sun doesn’t come up tomorrow?”
Here is another interesting diagram by the theorist, Erik Erikson
 

1 comment:

  1. Bailey, I appreciate your connections between the theorist and your own life.

    ReplyDelete