Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Journal #4


Journal #4

    Today was a fairly stressful day of tutoring because a few of the students didn’t show up. So, Carol got to work with Emily, Megan, and me. Carol was working on an assignment for her PIWA class. She had to compare the different aspects of the economy in different countries. It became frustrating at times because she would be searching Google for information, and if she didn’t get the answer right away, she would start to get very upset. She often looked to Emily, Megan, and me to just give her the answer, but we had to consistently tell her that the answer wasn’t always going to be extremely easy to find. As a future teacher, I probably will experience a lot of situations like this. I could take the simple route out and just give them the answer. However, they wouldn't be learning anything. I need to do what I did in this case and serve as a guide for the student without telling them how they should do his or her work.
    I tagged this under Learners Growth and Development because this situation portrayed growth not only in Carol, but in me, as well. Carol learned that she cannot just ask for the answer when she is struggling with where to go next in an assignment. She learned that if she does not immediately know the answer, she can always go online to find it. I learned that I cannot give the student I am learning the answer when they are struggling although it is the easy option. They need to be independent in their learning.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment