Journal #9
Unfortunately, I was the only one in my group that was able to attend tutoring today, but it provided me with a fun challenge to see if I could tutor multiple students. Jeff and Doma were able to attend tutoring today, but Carol was unable to. It was nice to work with Doma again because I was able to connect on an emotional level during our initial tutoring session. Her only assignment was to take notes on an article. I tagged this journal entry under Learners Growth and Development because while Doma was taking notes, she was able to sum up the main ideas in her own words. When I first worked with her, she was only able to copy the words straight from the text when taking notes.However, I have seen a major improvement in her comprehension of texts.
It was my first time working with Jeff because he normally does not attend tutoring sessions. This is typical of ELL students because they are probably so mentally exhausted by the end of the school day that they just want to go home and rest. In our first session, Jeff was very attentive and appreciative of the help. I would say Jeff is at level 3, Developing, of the WIDA standards because he had some general and specific language of the content area (Math), but often confused many of the terms. Moreover, he had a few syntactical errors in his oral language that sometimes impeded communication. I hope to see an improvement in his oral language after speaking more with him when he attends more tutoring sessions.
Bailey, congratulations with leaning into this challenge - what a good opportunity.
ReplyDeleteGood example of connections between theory and practice.
ReplyDelete