Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Journal #1 - Introduction to Tutoring


Journal #1

I have gotten the wonderful opportunity to tutor at South Burlington High School. Here is my very first journal entry about the student I am tutoring, with her background information, and a little about my initial experience there:

           The girl I’m tutoring is named Carol and she is from Kinshasa, Congo, which is the capitol of Congo. She is 18 years old and has been in the United States for three and a half years. She speaks four languages and English is her fourth language. She mentions in her initial letter that she has “a little problem with the world and speak”. She also notes that she needs help in her classes titled PIWA, and Contemporary Health Issues. From her original letter, I can tell that her English is very broken, but it is very impressive that she speaks four languages! I also notice that she is very good in understanding the format of how to write a formal letter because she had a header, a closer, and body paragraphs, with the date in the top right corner.
            I did some research on the Democratic Republic of Congo and started by looking at the website created by the two graduate students on all the immigrant cultures in South Burlington Middle School and High School. In the DRC, some refugees come from camps and others established themselves in urban areas following flight from their country. Chances are, these entrants have lacked education, employment opportunities, and mediocre healthcare, despite the fact that these refugees may be more familiar with urban lifestyles and technology. In terms of education, primary school is free. However, there are limited schools and teachers. Some students are obligated to bring in money or food in return for classes. Another fact I found interesting was that boys are more likely to receive education than girls (Frederick H. Tuttle Middle School website, 3/17/09).
            In the DRC, up to 250 different African languages are spoken. The main languages are Lingala, Kikongo, Kingwana, and Tshiluba. Furthermore, French is the country’s official language.  Finally, African society is traditionally organized by kinship groups and family is very important to the people of the DRC. They take pride in their close-knit relationships and coming from a good family. Families are also typically very large because children are a considered as a sign of prosperity (Frederick H. Tuttle Middle School website, 3/17/09).
            Lastly, in rural areas, general roles are traditional. Men are responsible for tasks like hunting, clearing the forest, and making important decisions. On the other hand, women are in charge of tending crops, cooking dinner, and caring for the family. Unfortunately, women don’t have many rights and I was shocked when I learned that married women don’t even have the right to open their own bank account (Frederick H. Tuttle Middle School website, 3/17/09).
            In terms of Carol’s physical appearance, she was absolutely beautiful and it is clear that she loves beauty and fashion. She has very dark, creamy skin. She had a huge bun on the top of her head with a grey headband. She also had a full face of pretty makeup with winged eyeliner. Additionally, she wore hoop earrings, a tight black top with a sequined skirt, black tights, and black boots. I complimented her on her outfit because I was very impressed. She also had fake sparkly nails on which I thought was very trendy.
            I learned a lot about Carol in the short amount of time I was able to spend with her. One of the things I noticed was that she was very curious about us. As soon as we sat down in the library, she kept asking questions about our lives and was so interested. She was so genuine and it was evident that she is amazed by the world around her. I also thought it was intriguing when she asked us what our dreams in life are. I told her my dream is to be a teacher and it put the biggest smile on her face. When I asked her what her dream is, she said she wants to go to college and be a nurse. I think it’s incredible that she has such wonderful goals in life.
            We first started out on her current events assignment from her PIWA class. She was given an article and had to underline the pros of sending troops to Syria. I noticed that she consistently referenced back to the videos she watched in class about the issue and that seemed to make her understand the situation very well. This proves to me that educational videos are crucial in teaching ELL students, especially for the visual learners. Another technique she used to better understand the article was translating some of the words into French because she said speaks French very well. I found this fascinating because French isn’t even her first language. However, from my research, it makes sense that she is so proficient in French because French is used in schools in the DRC. I can’t imagine how hard it must be for her to understand an article with a copious amount of information because some of the information in the article was confusing for me--it must be 10 times harder for her. However, after going through the article very slowly and discussing it along the way with the help of her background information from the video and her French, she was able to understand the concept much more.
            Then, we moved onto an assignment from her Contemporary Health Issues class. The assignment was to pick a disorder from a list of disorders given to her in class, and make a PSA about it. The questions were: What is your target audience? Why would information regarding the symptoms about this disorder be relevant to your target audience? Finally, she was instructed to give a statistic revolved around the disorder. It was very difficult to help her complete this assignment because she didn’t understand what a lot of the words meant. She didn’t comprehend what a target audience is, what the word, “symptom” means, or what a statistic is. I did the best I could in explaining it but it was frustrating because a lot of my explanation included, what I thought were, simple words that she still didn’t understand. Eventually, she was able to grasp what the questions were asking when I explained to her that the target audience is a group of people you are sharing the information with, symptoms are signs of the disorder, and a statistic is like a fact.
            Lastly, we moved onto a reading assignment. She was instructed to read the first few chapters of “The Boy in the Striped Pajamas” by John Boyne. Then, she had to write a short paragraph about each of the characters regarding their physical appearance, and other characteristics. She began reading out loud to me and she struggled a lot with her words. It was difficult to understand what she was saying and she had to frequently stop and ask me what a word meant. In order to assist her in better understanding the content, I would break it down into simpler terms. For example, the text described how the protagonist had good manners. She didn’t understand what that meant so I told her he was respectful and followed the rules. It was very rewarding when she threw her head back, smiling and said, “Oh! I get it now!”
            The final thing I want to write about is towards the end of our session, she received a phone call from her dad. She became very happy when she picked up the phone to talk to her dad, which makes sense because in doing my research, it is clear that family is very important in the DRC. She was speaking in her first language, I’m assuming. Next time I meet with her, I want to ask her what that is.





No comments:

Post a Comment