Level of my Student on the WIDA Standards

3 - Developing:
-General and some specific
language of the content areas
-Expanded sentences in oral
interaction or written paragraphs
-Oral or written language with
phonological, syntactic or semantic errors that may impede the communication,
but retain much of its meaning, when presented with oral or written, narrative
or expository descriptions with sensory, graphic or interactive support
I believe Carol falls under
the Developing level because she is able to accurately use general language of
the content areas that she is studying. For example, when discussing current
events, she specifically talks about ISIS and Syria, Obama sending out troops,
and has impressive opinions on the issue. Furthermore, she is typically able to
form expanded stances in my oral interactions with her. However, when she tries
to write about her ideas in assignments, she struggles with using basic
vocabulary to articulate her thoughts in a professional, academic way. I wonder
if giving her a short vocabulary lesson of relevant vocabulary terms prior to
each tutoring session will improve her ability to write. I will do this when I
have more time to work with her.
No comments:
Post a Comment