February 8th, 2016
Journal #3
Today, Emily and I worked on Carol’s current
event essay with her. The essay was revolved around ISIS and had to discuss why
ISIS is so dangerous. First, Emily and I laid out 3 key points of her argument:
the Paris attacks, they are taking over Iraq, and they could come into the US.
At some points, it was hard to get ideas out of Carol because she doesn’t
fully understand the whole issue. I also feel bad correcting her whenever her
English is wrong because I don’t want to come across as condescending. Then, I
realized that I can correct her in a polite way and critiquing her will only
improve her English.
I tagged this under Learners Growth and Development because at this stage, Carol began to identify evidence to back up her thesis. She initially struggled with this but found when she went back in the text, she was able to point out important pieces of evidence to support her argument. I also believe there was a growth in my learning because I realized that it is okay to correct her without being rude or offensive. Making mistakes is key to learning and I should not let her continue making the same mistakes if she wants to improve.
I tagged this under Learners Growth and Development because at this stage, Carol began to identify evidence to back up her thesis. She initially struggled with this but found when she went back in the text, she was able to point out important pieces of evidence to support her argument. I also believe there was a growth in my learning because I realized that it is okay to correct her without being rude or offensive. Making mistakes is key to learning and I should not let her continue making the same mistakes if she wants to improve.
This is such a great point about correcting in a polite way! Yesterday Emily and I were working with Carol on a PIWA project and her English was incorrect, so I corrected her while trying to keep the mood light. I ended up making a joke about how most of us (native English speakers) have no idea why something is the way it is in English so there's no way she would have known it! She laughed and seemed excited to have learned something new and to see that as English speakers sometimes we also struggle.
ReplyDelete